We have now introduced the Cornerstones Curriculum to support our teaching of Geography, History, Art, Technology and Writing. This is a creative approach to learning that is built on the criteria for an outstanding curriculum. It ensures that children learn in the most creative way and are involved in what they are learning. Cornerstone sis built on the four cornerstones of learning: Engage, develop, Innovate and Express. These cornerstones provide a consistent philosophy for learning throughout the school.
Engage – At the ‘Engage’ stage, children:
- gain memorable first-hand experiences, such as going on a visit or inviting a special visitor into school
- enjoy ‘WOW’ experiences
- get an exciting introduction to a topic or theme
- begin researching and setting enquiry questions
- get lots of opportunities to make observations
- develop spoken language skills
- take part in sensory activities
- have lots of fun to fully ‘engage’ with their new topic.
Develop – At the ‘Develop’ stage, children:
- improve their knowledge and understanding of the topic
- develop and practice their new skills
- compose, make, do, build, investigate, explore, write for different purposes and read across the curriculum
- research their own questions and those set by others
- follow new pathways of enquiry based on their interests
- complete homework activities that support their learning.
Innovate – At the ‘Innovate’ stage, children:
- apply skills, knowledge and understanding in real-life contexts
- solve real or imagined problems using everything they’ve learnt
- get inspired by imaginative and creative opportunities
- revisit anything not fully grasped at the ‘Develop’ stage.
Express – At the ‘Express’ stage, children:
- become the performers, experts and informers
- share their achievements with parents, classmates and the community
- evaluate finished products and processes
- link what they have learnt to where they started
- celebrate their achievements!