SEND Information Report  Sept 2020- 2021

SENco – Mrs C. Healey 

SEN Governor – Ms A Hambley

Can be contacted via the school office

       School  Offer / SEN Information Report – Knowsley Village Primary

In compliance with Section 69(2) of the Children and Families Act 2014 / regulations 51 and schedule 1 of the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014

       Children and Families Act 2014

The Children and Families Act underpins wider reforms to ensure all children and young people can succeed, no matter what their background. The Act will reform the systems for adoption, looked after children, family justice and special educational needs.

The Government is transforming the system for children and young people with special  educational needs (SEN), including those who are disabled, so that services consistently support the best outcomes for them.

A child or young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others  of the same age, or has  a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.

Part of the SEN reform programme Local Authorities must publish their Local Offer,
providing a comprehensive, transparent and accessible picture of the range of
services available.  Local partners, including schools are required to co-operate with the Local Authority in the development and review of their Local Offer.

 All Knowsley maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of
pupils with special educational needs and are supported by the Local Authority
to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best
possible progress in school.

 This document outlines our School Offer and the SEN Information required as stated in the SEN Code of Practice.

Glossary of terms;

  • ASC
 – Autistic Spectrum Condition
 – Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • EP
 – Educational Psychologist
  • IEP – 
Individual Education Plan
  • INCO
 – Inclusion Co-ordinator – organises and monitors provision for children with additional needs, which includes SEN, English as additional language and child 
  • QFT
 – Quality First Teaching – an excellent standard of teaching, enabling all pupils to 
make progress.

 – Statement of Special Educational Need
  • CA – 
Class Action
  • SALT
 – Speech and Language Therapy/Therapist
 – Special Educational Needs
  • SEN – Code of Practice
 The legal document, which sets out the requirements for educating children with 
special educational needs.
 – Special  Educational Needs Co-ordinator- organises and monitors provision for children  with special educational needs.

We have set out our School Offer / SEN Information Report through a series of
 questions through which you can get more information.

1. How does the school know if my child needs extra 

We carry out regular assessments and track your  child’s progress 
through out the year. If your child is identified as not making  expected 
progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you  in more 
detail and to:

-listen  to any concerns you may have too.

-plan  any additional support your child may receive

– discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support  your child’s  needs.

2. How can I let the school know that I  am concerned about any area of my child’s development?

If  you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak 
to your child’s  class teacher initially.  If  you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that  your child is  still not making progress you should speak to the SENco and after that if still concerned the  Headteacher.
If you are still not happy following this, you can  speak to the school SEND  Governor – Mrs A. Hambley.

3. How will teaching be matched to my child’s needs?

We use a graduated approach to meeting an individual child’s needs. 
For the majority of children quality first classroom teaching will fulfil their 
learning needs. Some children may require the curriculum to be slightly  adapted
or differentiated for the individual to access the curriculum in  order to make
progress. They will not be on the SEND register. 

Some children may require small group intervention from a member of the support 
team to bridge a learning gap or to develop strategies to overcome a  particular
need. They may also access some support from a TA in lessons.  Teachers will
 differentiate the curriculum on a regular basis as a usual way  of working.
These students will be identified on the register as SEN Support.  

For a few students with more complex needs they may require more intensive and 
long term support in order to thrive at school. These students will have an 
Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which will set out clearly what 
provision the student needs to achieve at school. These students are also 
monitored by the local educational authority SEND team (Knowsley Borough 

4. How will my child’s progress be  measured and how will I be informed?

Your  child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class

  His/her  progress is reviewed formally every 

  You will be invited to a parent teacher consultation each term and
will receive a  written report at the end of the Summer 
term.  If  your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National 
Curriculum  levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their 
level in  more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of 
progress. The  levels are called ‘P levels’. At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year  6) all children  are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment  Tests (SATS).  This is something the government requires all schools to do and  these results  are published nationally.

Children  at SEN Action will have an IEP which will be reviewed
 with your involvement,  every term and the plan for the next term

 The progress of children with a  statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is 
formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all  adults involved with the child’s

5. What support do you have for me as a parent to support my child?

The  class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s 
progress or any  concerns you may have and to share information about what is  working well at  home and school so similar strategies can be 
used.  The  SENco, Mrs Healey, is available to meet with you to 
discuss your child’s  progress or any concerns/worries you may 
have.  All  information from outside professionals will be discussed with 
you directly, or where this is not possible, in a 
report.  IEP’s  will be reviewed with your involvement each 
term.  Homework  will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual 
needs. A home/school contact book may be used  to support communication 
with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for  you and your 

6. What support will there be for my  child’s overall wellbeing?

Support we can provide in school may 

  • Sports Coach- Confidence building
  • Social  skills and friendship groups
  • Relax kids
  • Counselling
 Behaviour programmes including rewards and sanctions
Medicines can be administered in  school with signed parental
  • There are nominated first aiders in  school and several members of 
staff have paediatric first aid qualifications. If your child has significant medical  needs you will need to speak to the SENco/Inclusion manager to discuss how we can best support you and your child.  This might include drawing up a  Health Care
 The class teacher has responsibility for the overall well-being of
 every child in their class. If you have any worries speak to the  class teacher first.  If further support is needed the class-teacher will speak to the Inclusion Manager.

7. What specialist service and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting to support my child?

School will seek the appropriate specialist service or  expertise to support the school and families in meeting every child’s needs.

Below are some of the services we already engage with:

  • Inclusion  Service
  • SAST
Sports coach
Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the  school.
  • SEN specialist teacher (spld)
  • Autistic specialist teacher
  • Educational Psychology Service
Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
Speech  and Language Therapy
  • School Nurse
Occupational Therapy
  • C.A.M.H.s
Inclusion Support Worker
  • Family First
EAL service

8. How  accessible is Knowsley Village School and how will my child be included?

Our school building is on one level and is fully accessible to all.  We  ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their  needs.   Breakfast and After school provision  is accessible to all children including those with SEND.

All extra curricular activities are  accessible for children with SEND.

We do not have the building facilities for a separately staffed Nurture class/room but LA can advise parents on schools which do

9. How will the setting prepare my child  for transitions on to the next stage of educational and life?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with  SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as   possible.
  If  your child is moving to another  school:

We  will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any 
special  arrangements or support that need to be made for your

We  will make sure that all records about your child are passed on 
as soon as  possible.

When  moving classes in school:

Information  will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE 
and in most cases, a  planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All
 IEPs will be  shared with the new teacher.

Transition days in school with new classes and teachers.

If  your child would be helped by a book to support them understand 
moving on  then it will be made for them.

In  Year 6:

The  SENco will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the 
specific needs of  your child with the SENCO of their secondary

Your  child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to
 support their  understanding of the changes ahead.

Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new  school will visit your child in this school.

10. How are parents/carers/families  involved in the setting

All parents are actively encouraged to take part in the school
 community. This includes:

  • Class assemblies
  • School Performances
  • Links with Local Church St Marys
  • Volunteer Reading (but not in your child’s class)
  • PTFA ( fund raising activities)
Sugar tots- Parent and Tots groups
  • Parent training and workshops in connection with Knowsley Community College
  • Parent information meetings run by the Headteacher and teachers
  • News Letters by the children, head teacher and teachers
  • Review meetings
  • Annual Reports

11. Where can I find further information about admission arrangements for pupils with SEND and information regarding accessibility plan/policy?

Our school follows the LA admission guidance, please see admission section on the website for more information and contact details if needed. You will also find an access plan and policy on our website under the information tab, further policies of interest, may be found under the policy section.

12. Who can I contact  for further information?

If  you have any further questions or you wish to discuss any of these questions  further please contact Mrs C Healey – SENDco/ Inclusion manager and she  will be happy to arrange a meeting with you.

Telephone  – 0151 289 5349

E  mail –

Website  –

Also Knowsley  borough council can also offer advice and support regarding

The Local Offer can be found on the  Knowsley Council
 website  – Knowsley Local Offer

This offer is accurate now, but services are regularly reviewed and could change. All information will be updated as soon as possible to reflect any new service offer.

This service offer is intended to give you clear, accurate and accessible information. If you would like to comment on the content of the offer or make suggestions to improve the information, please email

Other useful sites are –

SEND Policy 2020-21

Skip to content