The Science Quality Mark * Our school’s journey to Science Quality Mark
We thoroughly enjoyed the recent Science workshop: a performance about the brain, how it functions and how we learn best.
How many of these amazing facts do you know?
Materials and their properties
* Materials have different properties
* Some materials are magnetic but most are not
* All materials can be sorted into natural or man made.
* Water turns to steam when heated but on cooling returns to water
* Materials change when they are cooled
Life Processes and Living Things
* Humans have five senses – taste, touch, hearing, sight and smell
* We all need oxygen to stay alive
* Humans and animals grow and change
* Animals, including humns, produce young and these grow into adults
* Babies and children need to be looked after while they are growing
* Drugs such as cigarettes and alcohol can harm your body
* Your heart pumps blood around your body
* Plants grow and make seeds
* A plant has a leaf, root, stem and flower
* Plants need light, wtaer and air to grow
* You will find different plants and animals in different locations and they will be suited to where they live.
* Sound is heard through our ears
* Sound gets louder the nearer you are to the source
* Mains electricity is dangerous
* A battery needs to be connected by both the positive and negative pole nefore electricity will flow
* You need a complete circuit with a battery for electricity to flow
* Some metals are magnetic
* Light comes from a source and there are many different sources
* Shiny objects can only reflect light and therefore do not shine in the dark
* Light helps us to see
* It is dangerous to look directly at the sun
* Pushes and pulls are forces that can make things speed up, slow down or change direction